Delaney Reddell, a graduate of Edinburgh University in Scotland, will teach a six-week course on the Celtic influence on Gothic literature. This six-week course will give you all the chills and thrills of horror literature. Throughout this course we will learn how “things that go bump in the night” formed in the Victorian imagination with the help of deep cultural myths and legends. This course will cover some of the most significant Gothic texts, like Dracula, to lesser known—but equally as intriguing—works like those by Margaret Oliphant and Sheridan Le Fanu. These stories did not only influence literature, but created a commentary to the politics and lives of the Victorian peoples. Dive into these eerie tales just in time for Halloween!
CLASS DATES & DESCRIPTIONS
- Week 1 [9/23/2019]: Ghost Stories in Folklore
— NO CLASS SEPTEMBER 30 - ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING —
- Week 2 [10/7/2019]: Terror and Satire: The Ghost Stories of Margaret Oliphant and Oscar Wilde
- Week 3 [10/14/2019]: Demons and the Unknown: Sheridan Le Fanu's Ghost Stories
- Week 4 [10/21/2019]: The Female Vampire: Carmilla
— NO CLASS OCTOBER 28 - SAMHAIN CELEBRATION —
- Week 5 [11/4/2019]: Dracula: Politics and Feminism
- Week 6 [11/11/2019]: Dracula: Ireland and the Gothic
Outside reading is encouraged, but not necessary. All registrants will receive the full syllabus with all the links to the literature!
Mondays, September 23; October 7, 14, & 21;
and November 4 & 11, 2019
[ Note: No class on September 30 and October 28 ]
All classes held at The Mayflower Club
(11110 Victory Blvd., North Hollywood, CA 91606)
TIME & LOCATION
The instructor is willing to teach a double session, one at 7:00 p.m. and another at 8:00 p.m.
upstairs in the Library at the Mayflower Club.
Don't want to miss Irish Céilí Dance class? Sign up for the 7 p.m. class!
Don't want to miss Irish language class? Sign up for the 8 p.m. class!
Entire Six-Week Course:
$55 for Celtic Arts Center Members
$75 for non-members/public
The instructor is also offering a single-class rate: $10 for members and $15 for non-members.
PRE-REGISTRATION HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
To pre-register, please send an email message to email@example.com,
and tell us:
- Your full name and your contact information;
- Are you a current Celtic Arts Center Member or not?
- Will you be attending the 7:00 or 8:00 p.m. session?
- And how would you like to pay your tuition (cash, check, money order or credit card)?
THERE'S NEVER BEEN A BETTER TIME TO JOIN!
Registration and payment in full are due by the beginning of your first class, at 7:00PM on Monday,
September 23, 2019. We will accept cash, checks, money orders and credit cards (via Square).
Once again, all classes will be in the library on the second floor of the Mayflower Club.